Duniter Representative

Hi Duniter community!

My name is Paula Berman and I’m one of the co-authors of a review of Proof of Personhood approaches where we mention Duniter. Here is the pre-print: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2008.05300.pdf

Is there someone who can represent Duniter that I could talk to? My e-mail is paula@democracy.earth

Many thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
  • Please reach out to my email :slight_smile:

Hello

I just saw some errors in the Duniter section:

• the first developer wanted to use PGP, but now Duniter uses ed25519 instead (but the principle remains the same);
  • there is no « seed identities », but so-called « referent members », who are all the members having both indegree and outdegree superior to a given number;
  • I find the expression « maximum distance of 5 different connections » confusing. In graph theory, « maximum distance of 5 » would be sufficient to describe the Duniter’s distance rule.
1 Like

Thank you! This is very helpful, we are re-writing it accordingly. Would you say that the excerpt below is accurate? (keep in mind this review is not strictly intended for a technical audience, so we try to make the language as accessible as possible)

Furthermore, any newcomer must be at a maximum distance of 5 different connections from « referent members », which can be thought of as more central and highly trusted seed identities. Referent members are defined by a graph property that intends to mimic trust parameters of real world, human, social graphs.

@Paulab, did someone join you by e-mail ?

I don’t feel the most legitimate to represent the Duniter project, but if noone answered, i may definitely explain the basic concepts.

Furthermore, any newcomer must be at a maximum distance of 5 different connections from « referent members », which can be thought of as more central and highly trusted seed identities. Referent members are defined by a graph property that intends to mimic trust parameters of real world, human, social graphs.

Referent members are only more connected to the WoT than the other members. This is not really a question of “trust in real relationship”, nor is it a “better” trust that the owner of the identity is indeed a human. This is more that we want the community of members to stay “compact” (I guess there is a graph theory term for that).

I don’t get what “seed identities” are, but to my understanding this concept would define identities that MUST vouch any newcomer for this newcomer to become a member. This is definitely not what referent members are about.

I would rewrite :

Furthermore, any newcomer must be at a maximum distance of 5 different connections from « referent members », which are strongly connected identities in the Web of Trust, thus represent a central region. This prevents the fraudulent creation of many illegitimate identities.

Little things :

Duniter members have an informal agreement

The agreement is formal, it is a use license that you can find here : https://duniter.org/en/wiki/g1-license/

As of June 2020, Duniter had 3761 members

We are 2800 members this September. We were ~2600 in June. I guess you got this number from g1-stats (which was bugged), and it was the number of all wallets (members and non-members)

You may want to have the reference of the relative theory of money : http://en.trm.creationmonetaire.info/

3 Likes

Thank you for your attention! Unfortunately this reply was sent past our deadline to submit a new version of our review to the journal we are working with, so these comments won’t be accounted for in the coming version, but we will update our paper accordingly as soon as possible.

1 Like