External Currency Holder

No. A libre money like Duniter/Ğ1 expands without any sort of conditions. Any human can join the WoT, there is no central control nowhere.

You need to develop other system.

1.335 million people is a really nice target for a Duniter currency.

But as cgeek said : first you’ll have to introduce developers to it. So, why not starting by OSE developpers, by running your own test network for a year first, and see how it goes ?
With this test network, you could introduce the RTM to the OSE community, and a year of testing would be great for technical people to take a grasp on the system and the code.

How do you run a testing network ? Well :

• High WoT rates (faster certifications, faster expiration… Ğ1-test is 10x faster than Ğ1)
  • Faster UD reevaluation (Ğ1-test is 25x faster than Ğ1)

There is no problem on this, you can have a wallet with Duniter as well. No need to join the WoT to use existing coins.

The simplest solution is to fork Duniter to have only allow some centralized keys to make certifications.

It can do the job if you fork it, but I don’t see why you don’t just build a centralized system. It is way simpler to build and maintain. Also, you have the control over it, while with a decentralized system you don’t really know what is going to happen.

1 Like

The main impetus for the centralized database idea was to reduce the inflation for external currency holders by having them join as “provisional” members but now with the 6.59% growth rate as discussed earlier I think it’ll be acceptable to have external holders who are not in the WoT.

This then leaves just the OSE Developers who can certify each other as necessary.

The biggest and most important advantage I think of going decentralized is that it reduces any accusations of meddling with a central database and even more importantly it reduces the incentive for hackers to get access to the server (hopefully).

But there is another issue to resolve… an exchange system where external customers can purchase OSE Coins and OSE Developers can sell them.

I’m not familiar with how bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies do this but are there any special considerations for Duniter? For example, if an OSE Developer lists 10 OSE Coins on an exchange and someone buys them, how can the exchange automatically transfer the coins (without having the private key)?

Would there be a need for some sort of escrow system? An OSE Developer would transfer the coins they want to sell into escrow and then when the sale goes through the coins are released? Are there any prototypes or initial work on this for Duniter?

Cool.

Exactly, will be doing this with OSE Test Coin.

Just to clarify, Open Source Ecology is not in my state (it’s in Missouri), so the OSE Coin stuff and the local currency for NH that I’m talking about are completely unrelated things.

But yes, we (myself for sure) definitely need more experience before going for a general currency for 1 million people.

I’m already on the G1-test and a few other OSE Developers have joined, so we’ll keep playing around with this and sharing the ideas.

I’m flying to Missouri tomorrow for this Eco-Tractor Workshop | Open Source Ecology I’ll try to get some more people onto G1-test while I’m out there.

For now the goal is just to get people to start thinking about a Duniter currency and to experience it a little with G1-test.

2 Likes

In most exchange systems, you don’t just “list x coins to be sold”, you actually send the coin to an account that is managed by the exchange, and then you can list them. And basically, you have to trust the exchange with your coins (and that lead to MtGox and Cryptsy :smiley: ). Up to you to trust them or not. :sweat: For Bitcoin and other coins, there are also some escrow services all over the place. We are not there yet in Ğ1.