Making Windows Releases of Cesium

Here is a quick guide to make a Windows Release of Cesium.

Prerequisites to build the windows version of Cesium

To produce a Windows Release file of Cesium, there are a couple of prerequisites:

• at least 30 Gb of free disk space as the virtualbox image is 13 Gb and is then duplicated,
  • 8 Gb of memory is a good start, 4 is really low but doable.
  • vagrant, a recent version since older versions may not be compatible with virtualbox, typically a 2.0.0. If you’re on Ubuntu 14 as I am, the repo is not up-to-date, you’ll have to grab the vagrant install there: Install | Vagrant | HashiCorp Developer
  • virtualbox, preferably a recent version (currently 5.2 - again, on Ubuntu 14, you’ll have to install the .deb from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads ). If you have already done a release before, make sure that the corresponding virtual machine is not present in the list of virtual machines. If it is, delete it, otherwise the release will fail because it won’t want to overwrite it.
  • git,
  • npm and nvm.

I’m not sure node is really necessary to make that release. If you test it out, let me know!

Also note that the release script (build.bat) is currently not able to make releases for previous versions, at it picks the latest tag from github.

Pulling from git and building

Then just do the following (and adapt to the current branch, if changed):

git clone https://github.com/duniter/cesium-desktop.git
cd cesium-desktop
./release.sh <version number eg. 1.0.4>

You should let the release roll. The first time, Vagrant will need to download the virtualbox image (13 Gb) so depending on your Internet connection it might be long, but it will reuse it the next times (on ubuntu it is stored in /.vagrant.d/boxes, make sure you have some disk space there).

If you have a Vagrant error message such as “No usable default provider could be found for your system.”, then your vagrant version is incompatible with your VirtualBox version, and it means Vagrant cannot work with VirtualBox: you have to upgrade Vagrant to a newer version.

The release process automatically uploads the result to github, so if it is successful you are done! Just FYI, the .exe is in the directory arch/windows.

2 Likes