Server and guidelines to make discourse forum available in Portugal/portuguese

Hi,

I would like to kick-off the Portugal libre coin forum project.

I have some experience with setting up discourse forums (three up to now, 2 online, 1 burried), and would love to have a forum in Portugal, as goto place to know more about the libre coin and what’s happening in Portugal around it.

I was told that there could be a server hosting service made available to us, through a contribution in Ğ1.

Does anyone here know how to start this “server requisition”/discourse forum bootstrap process, in the context of the libre coin movement, and can provide more info on it?

Also, do you recommend any domain hosting service to host the forum?
(I wonder if there is also the possibility to paid for the domain in Ğ1 :-), most of it, anyway)

Appreciating your time,

Diogo

2 Likes

Hi @diogocsc ,
If you open a new group, you should considering using Hive community.
Hive is a decentralized blogging platform,
Content creators are rewarded when they post quality content, so each participant of a forum can be rewarded by other members.
Ideal for a forum about a cryptocurrency and to empower the community.
If you want to try Hive, you can create a free account with the ecency mobile app and join the “Monnaie libre” community at Hive

Best,

Thank you @Chrisaiki for your answer. I will take a look

(english below)

J’ai commencé à regarder Hive hier, et j’avais d’autres priorités, donc je n’ai pas beaucoup avancé. (j’ai arrêté après avoir lu les premières lignes du livre blanc)
Cela semble intéressant.
Peut-être pouvez-vous m’accorder un peu de temps si vous avez déjà des réponses à certaines de mes questions :

1 - Comment Hive se compare-t-il à Duniter ? J’ai cru comprendre que Duniter est également une blockchain (est-ce exact ?), et qu’elle est également sensible à l’énergie (“La blockchain la moins gourmande en énergie”).
2 - Est-ce que Hive est aussi “energy-aware” que Duniter ? (si ce n’est pas la moins intensive)
3 - Si je comprends bien, il n’y a que 2 abonnés (@Chrisaiki et @HugoTrentesaux dans cette communauté Hive, et j’ai remarqué que le premier message a été posté il y a “23 heures”). Avez-vous commencé à l’utiliser ?
4 - Existe-t-il une comparaison entre la courbe d’apprentissage (pour différents “personas” d’utilisateurs - plus ou moins à l’aise avec l’informatique) pour utiliser les Blogs de Hive et les Forums de Discourse ?

5 - Je me demande également si nous pouvons utiliser un meilleur mot que décentralisé, qui est très axé sur la centralisation. (J’ai compris qu’en ce qui concerne les processus de pensée et les actions dérivées, il est utile de se concentrer sur ce que nous voulons et pas tellement sur ce que nous ne voulons pas). Que visons-nous en “décentralisant” ? (ceci pourrait probablement être inséré dans un autre sujet)

Traduit avec DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (version gratuite)

English

I started looking at Hive yesterday, and had also other priorities, so didn’t advance much. (stopped after reading the first lines of the whitepaper)
It seems interesting.
Maybe you can spare me some time if you already have answers for some of my questions:

1 - How does Hive compare to Duniter? I understand duniter is also a blockchain (is this correct?), and is also energy-aware (“The least energy-intensive blockchain”)
2 - Is Hive as “energy-aware” as Duniter? (if if it may not be the least intensive)
3 - If I understand right, there are there only 2 subscribers (@Chrisaiki and @HugoTrentesaux in this Hive community, and I noticed the first post was “23 hours” ago). Have you just started using it?
4 - Is there an existing comparison between the learning curve (for different user “personas” - more or less at ease with IT) to use Hive Blogs and Discourse Forums?

5 - I also wonder if we can use a better word than decentralized, which is very much focused on centralization. (I’ve been understanding that in what relates to thought processes and derived actions, it helps to focus on what we want and not so much on what we don’t want). What are we aiming at by “decentralizing”? (this probably might be inserted in a different topic)

1 - How does Hive compare to Duniter?

Hive and Duniter are two completely different systems :

Duniter is oriented toward an equitable creation of mone.

Hive community wants to reward the best contents and people who are investing in Hive and propose a blogging platform to everybody.

I understand duniter is also a blockchain (is this correct?), and is also energy-aware (“The least energy-intensive blockchain”)
2 - Is Hive as “energy-aware” as Duniter? (if if it may not be the least intensive)

Hive is a delegated proof of Stack blockchain. Only 21 block producers are rewarded to produce the new blocks. These producers are elected on a one token/one vote basis by the community. So DPOS blockchain are using the energy of 21 servers + 20 candidates for millions of transactions.

Duniter is also using very litle energy per transaction

3 - If I understand right, there are there only 2 subscribers (@Chrisaiki and @HugoTrentesaux in this Hive community, and I noticed the first post was “23 hours” ago). Have you just started using it?

I am a member of Hive since 2016 and Hive has about 40 000 montly active users

I created a community on Hive for the monnaie libre, but people are attached to the existing forum and don’t like the Hive anglo-saxon phylosophy which prefer to reward good work against equitability.

So I am the only active member of the « monnaie libre « hive community.

4 - Is there an existing comparison between the learning curve (for different user “personas” - more or less at ease with IT) to use Hive Blogs and Discourse Forums?

Discourse is probably easier to learn than Hive. Hive is using markdown type of post, three different tokens, you have to save your private keys and to instal an extension to securely access the blockchain.

5 - I also wonder if we can use a better word than decentralized, which is very much focused on centralization. (I’ve been understanding that in what relates to thought processes and derived actions, it helps to focus on what we want and not so much on what we don’t want). What are we aiming at by “decentralizing”? (this probably might be inserted in a different topic)
Hive and Duniter are both decentralized and we want decentralization, at least this is what I understood. Decentralization allows peer-to-peer transactions without a middle man (bank) and all transactions are public, so trust should increase in theory. In facts, hacking and scams decrease trust in decentralized money. Yes, this could be the subject of a new post in the « general forum of Duniter, as this one is oriented toward technical objectives.

While trying to register for a free account.
This isn’t something that will allow for a better use.

I would like to try free first before I know more about hive.

Do you know what may be causing this and how to fix it?

I’m using 4g right now from a national telecom operator…

Is there any other topic related to this?
I would like to understand both point of views better.

(I have been observing an inner dialogue around this as well, and recently actually advocated for equitability too, and also understand a bit of the meriotocracy system)

chatGPT is quite good to summarize this kind of general inquiry in classic philosophy.
You can try the prompt:
“what are the advantage of meritocracy against fairness?”
you get the answer:
"Meritocracy and fairness are two concepts that often come into conflict in various aspects of society. While they both have their merits, it’s essential to understand the advantages of meritocracy and how they can sometimes be viewed in contrast to fairness:

1. Efficiency: Meritocracy tends to reward individuals based on their skills, abilities, and qualifications. This can lead to more efficient allocation of resources and responsibilities in organizations and society. When individuals with the necessary skills are in positions of authority or responsibility, tasks are more likely to be performed competently and efficiently.
  2. Incentive for Improvement: A meritocratic system can motivate individuals to strive for self-improvement and excellence. Knowing that their efforts will be rewarded based on their merit encourages people to acquire new skills, work hard, and contribute to their fullest potential.
  3. Optimal Resource Allocation: In a meritocracy, resources such as educational opportunities, promotions, and rewards are allocated based on an individual’s merit. This can result in these resources being distributed more effectively and to those who can make the best use of them.
  4. Meritocratic Equality: Proponents of meritocracy argue that it treats all individuals equally by evaluating them based on their abilities and achievements rather than other factors like social background, wealth, or personal connections. This can contribute to a sense of fairness within the system.

However, it’s important to note that the advantages of meritocracy can sometimes be at odds with the concept of fairness in certain contexts:

1. Equal Starting Points: Fairness often implies that individuals should have equal opportunities or starting points, which may not always align with a pure meritocracy. In some cases, individuals may face systemic disadvantages that make it harder for them to compete on an equal footing.
  2. Addressing Inequality: Critics argue that a strict meritocracy can perpetuate existing inequalities, as individuals born into privilege may have more resources and opportunities to develop their talents, creating an uneven playing field.
  3. Subjectivity: Assessing merit can be subjective and influenced by biases. Fairness advocates argue that judgments of merit can be tainted by unconscious biases, favoring certain groups over others and leading to an unfair distribution of rewards and opportunities.
  4. Social Cohesion: A purely meritocratic society may create divisions, as those who excel are rewarded while others may struggle. Fairness considerations often involve concerns about social cohesion and ensuring that even those who don’t excel are not left behind.

In practice, many societies aim to strike a balance between meritocracy and fairness by implementing policies and practices that promote equal opportunities while still recognizing and rewarding individual merit. Achieving this balance can be challenging, as it requires addressing systemic inequalities and biases to create a fairer meritocratic system."

I would suggest the books of Bourdieu and Picketty to dig deeper.

1 Like

thanks, will come back to this later, hopefully.

Regarding my previous note about Hive signup - Server and guidelines to make discourse forum available in Portugal/portuguese - #6 by diogocsc, do you have any feedback?

Send me your phone number in private message and I will send you an ecency referral code. Will see if it works better.

1 Like

Yeah, it would be great if Axiom Team servers cold also host another Discourse instance similar to
https://forum.monnaie-libre.fr/ and foro.moneda-libre.org (we have a yearly thankyou quota in Junes and some of us are also members of Axiom-Team(paying in debt money yearly too…)

Maybe @poka could guide you into how to achieve that… the portuguese G1 movement has grown up so much recently that it is necessary I think a big space besides the IM…