Simple wallet deletion

hi guys.

im aware there is no need to ‘revoke’/delete a simple wallet that was created… but i wonder what happens to simple wallets created, where people have forgotten there passwords, and they’re not used… do they get removed, or do they stay active, registered on the blockchain?

can be confusing when trying to find someone, and they have a couple of accounts for their name, likely one was created, then password forgot, so was left behind…

a question that’s come up for the website building. thanks

When global monetary mass reaches some amount, everything gets divided by 10 in order to keep numbers small enough. (and it happens again the next time the threshold is reached) Then I guess the 1Ğ1 rule applies and all the accounts with strictly less than 1Ğ1 are removed. (to be confirmed)

This has never happened yet. I don’t know exactly how the power of ten switch works. This corresponds to the unitBase or base field in DUBP documents, currently 0 because the factor is 10^0=1.

In V2, there is an existential deposit under which the account is removed. But there is no “old account cleanup”. However monetary mass will grow the same way, so there will be a time when old accounts will become negligible. It will be possible to manually (using onchain governance) increase existential deposit, removing the smallest accounts at the same time. The removed money can either be destroyed or transferred to public treasuries.

Edit: In Duniter V1 there is no way, even using a revocation document, to manually remove the money from an account without the private key or an unused, valid, signed transaction.

1 Like

ok. this is interesting

Then I guess the 1Ğ1 rule applies and all the accounts with strictly less than 1Ğ1 are removed

that sounds like a helpful protocol.

good to know there is currently no option for this. i can let people know that ask.
thanks

1 Like

hi @tuxmain,
this same question came up again, after i mistakingly transferred g1s to an account i thought was my friends, but turns out it was her old account, where she’s forgotten her passwords, but this simple wallet is labeled as the names she uses on many platforms… very confusing. and annoying as i transferred almost 200g1s for various tasks from market donations…

i wonder firstly, is there a way to get into a simple wallet with the private key/passwords? i assume not… but i heard from a friend that there could be a program to get you in, if you have the passwords quite close, the software will find it? i guess its like a hacking device right? that uses brute force to try MANY variations of the potential passwords? you aware of such software…

second piece is whether we can delete the simple wallet, if we can’t get in, so that this won’t happen again, with this wallet?

apologies if i’m repeating a previous question, but just thought to check if something new had come up, and whether a hacking-like protocol was recommended? my mother also has a similar account, where she’s lost the password… i sense with the older generations sometimes, they’re not so used to the importance of keeping passwords safe and securely saved.

thanks.

There is no way to recover access to an account or its G1s without the password.

The bruteforce tool is Gsper (pronounced like “j’espère”, meaning “I hope” in French). It only works if you remember most of the password.

You cannot delete a wallet: a wallet exists by containing G1s. You can contact Cesium+ pod admins to ask them to remove the Cesium+ metadata (title, description, image) because it’s not in blockchain, but they are quite busy so maybe they will only act in more serious cases (illegal content, harassment…).

You can add any wallet to “my wallets” in Cesium, even if it’s not yours, so you can find it without relying on the global search.

No you can not. But your friend can delete the profile infos in Cesium herself. To avoid to get this old pubkey again when searching by its profile name.

ok. thanks for this.
yann, on the libre currency TG group gave a very similar response…
will try out gsper now and see how it goes.
and yes, will see if go down the cesium+ route… but of course, don’t want to waste the devs time.

didn’t understand what you mean…
how can she delete the profile info on cesium herself? she can’t get into the account, so the profile is not accessible, from what i gather.

My bad, you are right, she can not without password. :blush: